Monday, June 22, 2009

Crested Butte, Co

This last Saturday I raced in Crested Butte. The race starts at the bottom of the ski resort and just goes up from there. I checked my Suunto watch and was hoping it was wrong: 9400 ft at the start! Anyway, the race began a long distance from the single track..great idea by the race promoter..this gave us time to string out the group. My wife told me I was top 7 at the single track and by the next lap in top 5. I was excited and riding well.
As I was climbing at the start of #2 lap I noticed the nose of my saddle was pointing up like a downhiller rig!! I could barely touch my pedals.
I jumped off and hammered the nose down and jumped back on. Unfortunately , this game went on the whole race...I "found "a wrench, while countless riders went by, frantically tightened it down. After more riding it began to move back and forth..to the point that I was ready to call it quits..I was mad but remembered Lance saying "quiting lasts forever" I finished but back of the pack.
Later that night I had some beers with some of the racers I had raced against that day. They were surprised I didn't pack it in. Glad I didn't..
Next big race will be USA Cycling National Championships in Granby, Colorado. That great stars and stripes jersey we all would love to wear. I going to try.



Start of the race

No comments:

Post a Comment