Sunday, March 8, 2009

I was recently contacted by GT Bicycles and informed that I am on the Dirt Coalition Mountain Biking Team! The Dirt Coalition will be made up of like minded die hard racers who love mountain biking and all the experiences that come with it. Expect to see a GT tent at various races, we will be ready to answer any questions about the GT line up and will have printed material and brochures.



I Started riding GT bikes in the early 90's . It's great to be back , I remember racing my Zaskar at Mammoth Nationals (Jeep Grundig Series) back in 93. The days of John Tomac and Julie Furtado! Those were some great times in US mountain biking! I have a feeling that companies like GT and other organizations (new US Cup Series etc) are working to that end...bringing
the fun back to the amateur racing level.



This week I will list the races I plan to compete in...mostly Colorado Mountain States Cup races mixed with some pretty epic Durango races and the US Nationals in Granby, Co.
I race Cat 1 and will be the ripe young age of 49 this week.

I am hoping the bike comes in soon so I can get riding it. The Zaskar carbon Pro hardtail will be ride.


I race some road races and hillclimbs and love that 'cross! For the last couple of years Fort Lewis College Cycling has put on a pretty sweet 'cross series, this year it should go regional. We Durangoans travel to the Boulder Co. Cups to really dial it up and then go to the Nationals....that's a gas! We have a small Durango at the Nats each year.


The weather in Durango is starting to look like spring so the lower trails around town (6400 ft) will be getting used as soon as they dry a bit.

Being less than an hour from some New Mexico single track makes getting to lower elevation and riding high desert a fun "day trip"...

Training:
After a good 45 days of no bike after 'cross nationals I enjoyed snow shoeing with my wife and dog. Since then, I have been laying on the miles and doing some good 4-5 hr days. I've been in the Durango Sports Club working the legs hard. ..complimented by plenty of recovery time !
Dave Hagen at Fort lewis College just started his TT series to get the collegiate racers ready . They allow Masters to compete as well so this will be in my training mix . Recently, Lee Unwin posted some nasty looking interval sets that I think I might try...looks painful though!


I'll get some pics of my new bike up as soon as I see it myself. This will be a fun adventure for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment